Thursday 14 May 2020

Art is finding its way

This post comes after a very long time. I do hope to fill in the gap of about six years, gradually. Meanwhile, this post is about a recent development observed in the kids, now eight plus years old.

Our six seat rectangular dining table of rub-wood with dark brown colour had a table mat of dull grey. I bought the mat a few years back and I have no memory of why I chose that colour. Even though an architect I have not spent much time decorating own house. Recently while the kids were having a meal, Raman put forth the topic. "Mum, we should change the table cloth. When we go to our friends' houses, all of them have colourful table cloths, only we have this dull grey". The suggestion took me back to my own childhood, when I liked everything colourful and flowery. I can still vividly remember a skirt I chose for myself- that had pink and purple grapes, green leaves and dark green vines, yellow and red flowers all in a dark blue background. I would not choose that now, but I loved it then. I also remember the seed packets I bought, just because the covers showed all exotic flowers with lot of colourful petals. Yes, the age when colours matter.
Due to lock-down resulting from Covid-19 contagion, the shops were not open when Raman suggested this. Last week, they started opening the shops, and I and Ramesh went to choose a table cloth. We had also felt that it was high time we changed the mat. So we selected one with a beautiful mat with light orange colour which has big sunflower prints. The kids were very happy and excited to have it, and they took a long, happy time spreading it, and organizing dishes on it. Then they happily chatted about the many design details they would like to have for our new house which we are in the process of designing. Yes, art and architecture are finding their way to the kids' daily chitchats.

No comments:

Post a Comment